A confession: I had never heard of blondies until Molly Yeh shared a recipe for them a few years ago. I grew up with brownies. In my mind a blondie was just a weird brownie. After making Molly’s blondies my mind was changed and my adventure with blondies began. That is how we end up with, ladies and gents, the peanut butter blondies.
What will you need for these
peanut butter blondies?
- 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter (that translated to 3/4 cup butter)
- 1 cup Peanut Butter (I used creamy)
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 TBSP Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Gluten Free 1:1 Flour
- 1 TSP Baking Power
9×13 baking dish (greased)
How to make them:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a microwave or a pot on the stove, mix together your butter and peanut butter. Melt them. If you do this in the microwave, do it in 30 second increments.
- Mix the peanut butter and butter with brown sugar, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add the flour and baking powder and stir!
- Transfer your mixture to the fridge for 5 – 10 minutes until it has had time to cool off. You want the dough to not be warm the touch.
- Spread the dough in your baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. Make sure it is set in the center. Insert a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean.
- Let the bars cool and then eat up!
Why should you make these?
For one thing, it will make you question if you ever want or need a brownie again. Blondies are absolutely delicious. This is a great 1:1 recipe, so, if you are gluten free or not, you can make them. You can also store these in an airtight container for about a week and they will still be great!
Peanut Butter Blondies Recipe
- 1 stick of melted butter 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter do not use organic
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup White Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups Gluten Free Flour I used King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Flakey Salt optional
- Preheat oven to 350 f. Then take your baking tin and spray with a non-stick spray (or grease it with butter). You can then line the pan with parchment paper. The parchment paper makes it easier to lift out of the pan later but it is not necessary, this is an optional step.
- Put the butter and the peanut butter into a microwavable safe bowl and microwave until you have melted butter. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a mixing bowl, add the eggs and whisk the eggs with the brown sugar and the white granulated sugar until it is nice and thick. Add the vanilla extract and whisk a bit more. Add the melted butter and the peanut butter to the mixture and continue to mix together. Then, add the dry ingredients (baking powder, flour), and chocolate chunks. Use a spatula to fold the mixture together. The blondie batter will come together and be the color of peanut butter.
- Transfer the blondie batter to your baking pan. Sprinkle the salt on top, and place in the oven. When baking in an 8×8 pan, bake for 35 minutes. If you are using a 9×13 baking pan then bake for 45-40 mins. If it does not seem done, place back in the oven for 5-10 more mins.
- To check for doneness, remove the baking pan from the oven, insert a toothpick into the middle. If the toothpick comes out clean, then it means it is baked. Allow it to cool completely in the baking pan and then lift it out once it has cooled completely. If the blondies feel too soft, it likely means that they are underbaked. You want a gooey center but they should not be so soft that they are falling apart. You can always cut a little piece from the blondies, taste it, and see if it truly is done. If not, you could place it bake in the oven for 10 minutes and check again.