Have you ever wanted to make Ratatouille just like Remy from Disney’s Ratatouille? Were you unsure as to how to bring this recipe to life? Look no further. This quick, easy, gluten free and vegan ratatouille is simple and beyond delicious. Make it today!
With the introduction of the Disney+ platform, we now have access to all of our favorite Disney films. One of my personal favorites is Disney’s Ratatouille. My friend Amanda (who runs an awesome site you can check out right here) and I were talking about the film and asked: “what is there not to love?” A rat who controls a boy and is able to cook amazing French food? I have a special love for Disney, and I pretty much love any movie that has food in it or where the main focus is food.
What about the soup? Disney’s Ratatouille Soup Recipe
Was a potato leek soup. I don’t have a recipe for that quite yet on my site but I do have some soup recipes! You can check out my recipes for fish soup, butternut squash bisque, and spinach soup if you are in the mood for soup!
What is the plot of Ratatouille?
It is a great film that was first released in 2007. It has an 8/10 IMDB rating and is ranked at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. Remy, our main character voiced by Paton Oswald is a delightful rat who loves food and to cook. He finds his way into the greatest restaurant in Paris, and manages to become a great chef!
What is traditionally served with ratatouille?
The beautiful thing about this dish is that it can be a side or a main. When served as a side it pairs beautifully with a white fish, slices of good crusty bread, pasta, and for the folk who can eat gluten, couscous.
This is a French ratatouille dish: Why is it called ratatouille?
Ratatouille is a classical Provencal French dish. It is considered to be a vegetable stew. “The word ratatouille is derived from the Occitan term “ratatolha” and the French words “rata” meaning chunky stew and “touiller” which means to toss food or stir up.” You can read more about it here if you wish!
In the movie
This dish is able to sway the most curmudgeon of food critics in all of Paris. He is an old, crotchety man who when he takes a bite of this spectacular dish is brought back to his childhood. His innocence reborn, his cynicism, gone! I had to know, what is Disney’s Ratatouille recipe?
Ingredients for Disney’s Ratatouille
1. 2 red peppers
2. 1 yellow pepper
3. 3 or 4 roma tomatoes
4. 2 garlic cloves
5. 2 tablespoon Olive oil
6. ¼ cup vegetable stock
7. Water (if you think your sauce is too thick)
8. Thyme 2 sprigs
9. Fresh parsley
1. 4 or 5 tomatoes
2. 1 Japanese eggplant
3. 1 green zucchini
4. 1 yellow zucchini (or yellow squash)
How do you make Disney’s Ratatouille Recipe?
To make the sauce:
1. Broil the peppers until there is a black layer and they look charred. 2. Remove them from the oven and wrap them in foil and allow them to steam. Meanwhile, blanch your roma tomatoes and peel their skin.
3. In a blender or food processor, place the roma tomatoes, garlic cloves, peel the peppers once they have cooled and also place them inside.
4. Add olive oil, thyme, parsley, and begin to blend. While machine is running, add the veggie stock.
Make the ratatouille:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Take a backing pan or a cast iron pan (I used cast iron) and fill the bottom with the sauce. Slice all of your veggies very thin, using a mandolin will be your easiest solution.
3. Begin to lay them over the other and make the pattern you wish. Once you have filled the entirety of the pan, drizzle the veggies with olive oil, use a tiny bit of salt and pepper and fresh rosemary if you wish.
4. Cover it with parchment paper cut specifically to cover your veggies.
5. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from oven, take a bit of your leftover sauce, mix it with some olive oil and plate your dish. Add some fresh parsley with it. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Why should you make Disney’s Ratatouille?
Well, if it was able to make Anton Ego, aka the Parisian food critic, into a jovial and happy then what could it do for you? This is one of the freshest dishes you can possibly make and if you and your family want to watch Ratatouille and then make this dish, what could be more fun than that?
Looking for some other Disney Recipes?
To see how to make my recipes, follow me on Youtube here