What is a pavlova?
Rumor has it that the famed Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova, is the namesake for the dessert. While on tour in Wellington, New Zealand in the 1920s, the dessert was created in her honor. A pavlova is simply meringue (egg whites, sugar, and sometimes a few additions). Baked at a low temperature, it allows the exterior of the dessert to form a delicious crust while remaining spongey, sugary, and delicious inside. Mini pavlovas are just as good.
What do you need?
In order to make your mini pavlovas you will need:
- 6 egg whites (at room temperature if preferred but not required)
- 1 1/2 tsp corn flour
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar ( you can use 1 1/2 cups if you want it extra sweet)
- pinch of sea salt
For your topping:
- Whipping cream
- Berries or Fruit
- Syrup (optional)
Mixmaster or hand-mixer (mixmaster will be easier)
How do you make mini pavlovas?
- Separate your eggs and place your egg whites into the bowl of your mixer. Make sure that no yoke has gotten into the whites. If any fat is in the whites- it can make them not rise up.
- Turn your mixer onto medium until the eggwhites begin to become frothy and then turn to high. You will have them beating for approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Slowly add your corn flour, cream of tartar, and sugar. Rotate between the three.
- Once your eggs have beaten up and have a good shine to them, do the test. The test is to light your bowl upside down. If the meringue stays put, it means it is ready.
- Set your oven to 290°F
- On a baking mat or parchment paper, form your meringues. Use two spoons to shape them the way you wish. You may want to create a little divot on the top so that the whipped cream can go in later.
- Bake your meringues for 1 hour. After 1 hour, turn your oven off, open the oven door and leave them in the oven like this for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.
To make the whipped cream
- Place heavy cream in a mixer, along with a tbsp of sugar and beat.
Why should you make mini pavlovas?
Well, if you happen to have a bunch of eggs sitting around it is an incredibly easy dessert. It will satisfy your sweet tooth like never before. Also, the super fun part, you can top it with a bunch of different things. In this recipe, I made what I call “Canadian Mini Pavlovas”. I topped mine with whipped cream, blueberries, and maple syrup. There are few things more Canadian than maple syrup.