Strawberry Gluten Free Galette
Let me preface this by saying I love pie. I love tarts. In my mind, a galette, specifically, this gluten free strawberry galette recipe, is basically a combination between those two things, and I love it.
Like many others right now, in this strange environment and climate, obtaining groceries has become a difficult task. When I try to purchase my normal gluten free flour mix, they are often sold out. It led to the search for alternative recipes in the hopes that those flours would be available. I was craving sweets, so, I needed to be crafty.
One of the things I am doing for myself this year (and has been great thus far) is that I am participating in Sam Adler’s Mastermind class. I was talking to my classmates in regards to finding an alternative recipe, and my friend Belen, suggested Cannelle et Vanille.
The crust recipe is from Aran, the creator behind Canelle et Vanille. It is a delicious base of buckwheat and fine brown rice flour.
You will need a scale for this recipe
For the crust:
110 g Butter (unsalted and cold)
105 g Brown rice Flour (superfine, plus more for dusting)
40 g Potato starch
35 g Buckwheat Flour
63 g Sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
.38 tsp Salt
1 egg yolk
Ice Water (about 3-5 tbsp as needed)
For the interior:
Corn Starch or Tapioca Starch
How to make
Firstly, you are going to make your dough.
You are going to want to dice up your cold butter.
Next, mix together your flours, starches, sugar, and salt. Add the butter to the bowl and begin to mix by hand. You want to make the butter into pea sized pieces. Do not fully incorporate it. You want to be able to see little pieces of butter when you are done.
In a separate bowl, mix your egg yolk and your water. Add that mixture to your dough and begin to mix with a fork. It should begin to start to come together. If you feel it is not coming together enough, slowly add 1 tbsp of water at a time. Knead the dough into a disc and then wrap it in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for at least one hour.
While the dough is in the fridge, slice your strawberries, and place them in a bowl. Cover them in your starch and sugar and allow them to sit for at least ten minutes so the juices can release and the strawberries can become really sugary and sweet.
Once it has been an hour (and not a minute less!) you can remove the dough from the fridge and begin to roll it out. It is best to roll it out on parchment paper with a baking tray underneath it (it will simplify the process of transferring). Let the making of your gluten free strawberry galette begin!
Dust your parchment paper with more brown rice flour, as well as your dough and begin to roll it out. Once it is at the appropriate thickness, take your mascarpone and spread it out. Cover it with the strawberries and begin to fold up your sides. Once it has been assembled, place back in the fridge for 15 minutes. While in the oven, preheat your oven to 425°F or 218°C. Once the 15 minutes have passed, remove your galette from the fridge and use your egg wash. Cover the sides of your galette in the egg wash and sugar.
Place in the oven for 28-30 minutes. Once your crust is starting to look pretty brown and delicious, remove from your oven.
This recipe is sure to please everyone. Even my husband, who isn’t a fan of desserts (unless they are in the form of cheesecake, ice cream, and or candy) liked it. Feel free to serve with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or vanilla yogurt.
Gluten Free Strawberry Galette Recipe
- Category: Dessert
- 110 g Cold Unsalted Butter
- 105 g Fine Brown Rice Flour
- 40 g Potato Starch
- 35 g Buckwheat Flour
- 13 g Sugar
- .25 tsp Salt
- 1 Egg yolk
- 3–5 tbsp Ice cold water
- Mascarpone (Enough to cover the base of your galette)
- Strawberries (Enough to cover the base of your galette)
- Corn or Tapioca Starch (Enough to cover your strawberries)
- Sugar (Enough to cover your strawberries)
- 1 Egg (For Egg wash on chilled galette)
- Sugar (to cover the edges of your galette)
- Dice up your your cold butter.
- Mix together your flours, starches, salt, and sugar.
- Place your butter in the bowl and begin to mix by hand. You want to make the butter pea sized and still visible when the dough comes together. Do not fully incorporate the butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your egg yolk and ice water. Add that to your bowl and begin to mix your dough together with a fork. If the dough is not wet enough, add a few more tbsp of ice water. Begin to knead your dough until it all comes together. Mold into a disc and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for an hour and not a minute less.
- In the meantime, slice up your berries, cover them in your starch and sugar and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Once your dough has chilled for an hour, remove from the fridge and roll it out to your desired thickness. I recommend doing this on parchment paper and a baking sheet. Dust the paper and your dough with more brown rice flour. Once it is rolled out, cover the base with mascarpone and your strawberries. Fold up your sides and return to the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Set your oven to 425°
- Remove your galette from the fridge, use your egg wash on the sides and cover with sugar. Place in the over for 28-30 minutes. You can eat it by itself, or serve it with vanilla ice cream or yogurt.