Harry Potter Cake from Hagrid
Harry Potter Cake from Hagrid is a fun homage to the cake given to Harry Potter in the first book of the Harry Potter series by Hagrid.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1h20mins
- Yield: 1 cake layer; 1 icing recipe 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: British / American
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the cake:
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 8 tbsp butter (1/2 cup)
- 16 oz cream cheese (2 packages)
- 1/2 cup caramelized white chocolate (instructions will follow)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (if you want it a bit stiffer- add 1/2 – 1 cup more)
For caramelized white chocolate:
- White chocolate – 4 oz
To make cake:
- Set oven to 350°F
- Take all of your dry ingredients and mix them together in a bowl. I like to use a whisk.
- Add the rest of your ingredients.
- Whisk together until there are no lumps.
- Spray a 8 or 9 inch pan so that it is non-stick and pour your batter into the pan.
- Try to smooth is out so that it will bake evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle. If the toothpick comes out clean, then you know it is ready.
To make the caramelized white chocolate:
- Once your cake it baked and cooling on a raised sheet, lower the temperature of your oven to 300°F.
- Lay white chocolate on the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and swirl around with a spatula.
- Put back in the oven for another 10 minutes. Repeat this process until the chocolate begins to have that caramelized color.
- If you find it is starting to look lumpy, then transfer to your mixmaster bowl, and mix it. It will become smooth but the bowl will be very hot, so, be careful not to touch the bowl right after.
- Place in a bowl or jar until ready to use.
To make your icing:
- Beat the butter in your mix master
- Add the cream cheese
- Add in your powdered sugar
- Place the 1/2 cup of the caramelized white chocolate into the bowl
- If you desire (to make it more realistic) now is the time to remove some of the icing to mix green food coloring with in a bowl. In the bowl of your mixmaster add the pink.
Keywords: Harry Potter, birthday cake, cake, Harry Potter birthday cake from Hagrid, Harry Potter Birthday Cake