Pumpkin Pasties: known from the Harry Potter series, these pumpkin pasties are a 2 for 1 recipe. One dough and two delicious fillings.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 2h35m
- Yield: 7-10 pasties 1x
- Category: Sweet and Savory
- Cuisine: British / Middle Eastern
- Diet: Gluten Free
This is what you will need for your pumpkin pasties:
For your dough:
- 1 package of Bob’s Redmill gluten free pie crust (or if you are not gluten free, any regular pie crust)
- 4 tbsp cold crisco – for gf pie crust
- 12 tbsp butter – for gf pie crust
- 5 tbsp ice water
- 3/4 pumpkin purée
- 1 tbsp ras el hanout
- 1/4 brown sugar (light or dark- doesn’t matter)
- 1 onion (for savory filling)
- 1–2 tbsp butter (for savory filling)
- gruyere cheese (for savory filling)
For your dough:
- Add the flour mix along with the butter and crisco to a food processor.
- Pulse a few times to mix together.
- Add one tablespoon of water at a time. The dough will come together.
- Once it has fully come together, separate into two and wrap in plastic wrap (or an eco-friendly alternative).
- Flatten into a disc and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
For your filling:
For the savory fillings:
- Melt your butter and then place your onions in the pot.
- To fully caramelize the onions, it can take up to 40 minutes.
Fillings for both:
- Take the pumpkin, ras el hanout, and brown sugar and mix together.
Putting it all together:
- Set oven to 400°F
- Take your dough out of the fridge and roll it out to the thickness you like.
- Use a bowl to cut out your piece in the dough.
- Place the circle pieces on a pan covered in parchment paper.
- Use 2 tbsps of the pumpkin filling.
- If you are making the savory ones, still use 2 tbsp of the pumpkin filling, then add onions and cheese on top.
- Use water along the edge of your circle and flip it over. Make sure your edges close.
- Slice slits on the top of the pies so air can escape.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit for a bit until they cool. Then dig in.
Keywords: Harry Potter, Pumpkin Pasties